Writing with Xuan
I, for once, felt guilty for sending Xuan to preschool too late which is at 5. Hubby and I tried to beat the norm for sending him at 5 because we wanted him to play more. The guilt came when I saw his writing worksheet. He has no problem writing 1. But we began to realise it was not as easy when he learnt how to write 2. Firstly, he did not hold the pencil correctly. He just did not know how to. I lost patience everytime he needed me to remind him the skills and mechanics of gripping a pencil. Sometimes he just forgets that he is a right hander so he is writing with his left hand. But at the same time, the words that he writes become reversed. My panic button turned on, I should probably take him for dyslexia test. Secondly, he was not exposed to drawing, writing and coloring prior to school, resulting him in poor skills of basic scribbles. While I have been happy that no homework for him to bring home at this age, I couldn't believe that I also erased all his work done at school, just wanted him to rewrite everything. I tried to keep my cool most of the times to let him know that learning is fun. As long as he doesn't lose the enthusiasm, I should be proud of him. So I went around to ask my friends whose kids went to the kindy at the age like him. Most of us have the same guilt but they assure me things will be fine when they grow older. I should just sit back, relax and enjoy this stage. Last night, Xuan took the electronic doodling pad that my sis got for him when he turned one. He asked me to give him some numbers and he would pen it down. I was surprised that he wrote it with such a breeze. Mummy has to take a few steps back, enjoy my tea and believe that children will soar when the time is right!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment