Chemical pregnancy

This is a new term I learnt these days. It is referring to pregnancy where a woman is tested positive ie using the home pregnancy test, but later on miscarries before anything can be seen on the ultrasound. It is basically a miscarriage that happens at a very very early stage of pregnancy. Chemical pregnancies are often unnoticed and mistakenly thought as late period. The term, chemical is used because the only evidence of being tested positive is by chemical reaction thru the test kit. Now I'm going thru this phase where my period was late, I got tested positive using the kit but nothing seen on the ultrasound, then I began to have my period. I was initially very upset for this to happen twice. But unlike the first time where we had seen a small dot on the screen- it grew, we heard his heartbeat but later on it stopped growing, this time it was totally nothing. My gynae thought it was my mistake and kept asking us if the test kit really showed positive results. To tell him the truth, we did try on a few sticks and they came out positive except one. Now it shows the pros and cons of the home pregnancy test kits- it has become easily available at the market and more sensitive where the results can be read even before the next period is due. If I decided to wait longer, I would probably not know I have ever had a chemical pregnancy, at all. So everything falls back into its place. There is finally another closure for this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment